Cultural Sensitivity Only Goes So Far
It's getting to be time for a change.
I have lost patience with a few things:
1. being a giant, pasty-assed female who can't do anything herself without getting harassed
2. ...and anyway there's nowhere to go in kandy: no movies, no cafes, no decent restaurants
3. ...but if you manage to have social obligations anyway, when you go to visit someone, you cannot leave until you've been force-fed
4. ...and thus you miss your preplanned, pre-ticket-bought colombo train
5. ...which didn't go anyways because of a strike.
I don't really care about the strike, could have taken the bus. But I resent being captive at someone's house, and I resent myself for not having the patience to chill or the nerve to just pack up and go. On top of that, I'm not really psyched about Colombo and my plans there. Not enough thinking ahead, therefore I have not enough work to make me feel it's justified. Anyone out there in the blogosphere want to be interviewed on Saturday?
Nalani, whose lovely birthday party I was more or less stuck at today, told me I work too hard. I started explaining the 'yankee mentality' in Sinhala and then realized, no I don't work too hard, I just worry too much about it. I should work more and worry less.
I need to plan a trip, go someplace else. India, anyone?