8.31.2007

little coop apartment on the prairie

Oh, darling roommates. We're working our way towards full kitchen and living room function, which is getting us excited about living together and so forth. Also, apparently, we're writing emails to each other about putting food up for the winter. Domesticity is great.

I know this is a cheapo way to "write" a post, but I am trying to get more stuff up here. Quantity over quality.

AL wrote:
Through the farmstand, if we'd like, we can get 25 pounds of tomatoes for a mere $20, along with instructions for simple ways of preserving the tomatoes, so that we can bring them back to life in winter.
These tomatoes are delicious, but are cheap because they are "seconds" because some imperfection made them not retail-worthy. I don't want to be personally responsible for preserving them, but if I had some help, maybe we should do this?


RG wrote:
If they'll keep until, say, next Thursday, I'd be game..... but that seems like a long time to make 20lb of tomatoes wait around!

NS wrote:
I'd personally rather spend extra house time cleaning a little more, but we do need vegetables...how long do you expect this venture to take?

AL wrote:
Just to clarify, these tomatoes would basically be for the winter. It wouldn't take very long. The easiest thing to do is to roast them, then freeze them. Total working time is like 20 minutes plus time to clear out enough space in the freezer to freeze them in a single layer. So, really, not very long.
OK, right, I could even do this on my own, actually, if people would use the tomatoes in winter and if we could find space in the freezer for these tomatoes. Which is a perfect incentive to clean the fridge and freezer!


NS wrote:
I'm around on Saturday to make pesto and tomato sauce, anyone have good recipes? I'm not too experienced with cooking.
A, when can you get the tomatoes?


RG wrote:
I'm gonna be super busy unpacking and stuff on Saturday, but I do make excellent tomato sauce and would be happy to help you with that, N. I also do a mean creamy (tofu + Parmesan, or I guess nutritional yeast might work ) pesto, if you want that recipe. Regular pesto's easy too, just way more greasy.

AL wrote:
All, sorry, but before we get too excited, I might not be able to get those tomatoes after all. I'll find out later today, I hope.
In terms of pesto, the impetus for buying all the basil for pesto was that we have an obscene number of pignolas to get rid of. So as long as they're involved, all is well.

No comments: